Everything Rhetorical and the Rhetoric of Everything

Rhetoric, Composition, Politics, Society, Culture, Etc.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Making my case, and asking hard questions.


I’m going to do my blog-post early, and probably slightly off-topic this week. Our somewhat contentious end of discussion Thursday left me thinking about what I want to get done in a writing class (focusing for the sake of argument not on FYC but on say a 308J class that I want to address what I see as essential parts of alphabetic literacy that students need but have likely not mastered in or since their 151 course). That is fairly easy for me to imagine since I taught a 308J course last year and found that my students still had a great deal of stuff to learn about reading and writing. I had a fairly successful course that focused on having the students do ethnographic research on the places, genres, scholars, and discourse ecologies of their majors or expected professions. Since then, however, I’ve decided that the approach I took was probably a little to advanced for what is for many students only the second college course they’ve taken that has asked them to write extensively let alone tried to teach them anything about writing. My intention, should I teach a 308J next quarter is to take a Writing about Writing approach using Elizabeth Wardle and Doug Down’s (whom I had the pleasure of working with for a couple of years) new reader Writing About Writing along with some additional Rhet/Comp articles not included in that text, Graff and Birkenstein’s They Say/ I Say, and Norton’s Little Seagull Hanbook . The proposed ten weeks would work as follows:

Week 1: Intro, syllabus, conversation about what makes writing “good”/successful, introduce the concept of writing as an emergent phenomena within complex ecological systems using articles by Porter and Cooper.
Week 2: Genre using articles by Bawarshi and Mauk and exercises in Genre analysis,
Week 3: Rhetorical Reading using articles by Haas and Flower, Kantz, Tierney and Pearson, and Penrose & Geisler
Week 4: Class workshop, small group and/or individual peer reviews of Paper 1
Week 5: From reading to writing articles by Swales, Greene, Kleine, and Casanave, They Say/I Say chapters.
Week 6: Workshop/peer review activities paper 2
Week 7: Students in the conversation/ rhetoric: Articles by Wardle, McCarthy, Harris, and Grant-Davie, They Say/I Say Chapters
Week 8: The rest of the process, articles by Nelson, Perl, Tomlinson, Lamott
Week 9: Individual Consultations with students
Week 10: Workshop etc. Paper 4, conclusions and reflections.

Final Portfolios due by scheduled final.

This is, of course, very rough and lists more, really, than I’ll actually be able to do. I will have to make choices about what articles will be most beneficial and which I can do without. I’ll have to balance discussion of articles with exercises and activities that help students practice skills related to the knowledge about writing we’re discussing. So reality will not be this optimistic. However, this isn’t as optimistic as I could be. I’d really like to take some time to discuss Grammar, style, proofreading, and editing. I’d like to take a day to go over print design (ha, there’s some multimodal stuff I’ve taught before but ended up cutting because other things seem more important), I’d like to meet individually with students more often ( I probably will force them to come in after the second paper, but I’ll have to do that outside of class time). I’ll also require responses to readings that students will post to the course blog to which I’ll require them to respond in comments. Paper 3 will be an annotated bibliography of their research for paper 4, which I want to try building via wiki with separate pages for the various aspects of writing the students choose to write on. The final paper will be a researched academic argument. The first two papers will be selected from a list of genres I find useful:

Rhetorical Analysis
Critical Analysis
Genre Analysis
Literacy Narrative
Discourse Ecology Ethnography
Autoethnography of their writing process
Etc.

So, where in this schedule is there room to teach students the affordances of other modes, the knowledge needed to make effective rhetorical choices using them, and the skills (especially technologis/software) to make one of these assignments a required multimodal project? I have in the past allowed students to make certain projects multimodal if they wanted and could. I always encourage students to make their papers look good as best they can to encourage thinking about design, but I don’t have room to teach principles of design, or software programs, or the terminology and affordances of video, audio, etc.

Except for workshop, peer review, peer response, and individual consultations, most of my students’ work on projects happens outside of class. With alphabetic genres, I don’t worry about students knowing how to type or use the basic functions of word processing software.

I do use technologies in my class (blogs, wikis, blackboard). I don’t have students turn in hard copies anymore. I comment on papers using track-changes/mark-up, but these technologies are so simple and ubiquitous that it doesn’t take much if anything to get students to where they can use these technologies. I don’t require them to put visuals in their blogs, and I wouldn’t require visuals on wikis just like I don’t require visual design of type or visual images in their research projects. I encourage all these things, but I leave it up to students to decide if that is something they are comfortable doing since they are on their own to figure out how if they don’t already know.

Now, I view 308J as a writing class not a writing intensive course. I know that others teach it as a writing intensive course where writing is secondary to other knowledge. I’m not comfortable with that since the 308J is listed as “Writing and Rhetoric II” and because it is only the second writing course students here take unless they are in a writing related program. If I were teaching a writing intensive course where I felt like learning writing itself was a secondary rather than a primary goal for the course I might feel comfortable including a multimodal project and taking a class or two to instruct students in the affordances of video/audio as well as some principles of design. I would be most comfortable doing that if it was part of the content of the course, but I could see doing it even when it wasn’t. In fact, as I’ve mentioned, my 284 students this quarter will be doing a collaborative multimodal composition as their third short project. The way I conceived it probably isn’t as rigorous as the authors of Multimodal Composition would like. I originally planned to give students the option of what multimodal technology they want to use (to allow for the fact that some students may not be comfortable designing a web-site, video, etc.), and I conceived collaboration as a way of pairing up those who are already comfortable composing in other modes with those who aren’t. I wasn’t planning on teaching much about technologies because that isn’t really one of my purposes. I wanted to do a multimodal project in order to let students experiment with multimodal composition within their comfort zones not to push them out of their comfort zones and teach them how to compose in multiple modes. Pardon my ignorance. If I do it again, I will probably plan a day to teach some basic competency with wikis and require the students to construct multimodal wiki sites for their projects. I still, however, don’t know how much time I would spend teaching visual rhetoric etc. when the course content is writing about culture, which I view as a course meant to focus less on the general affordances of writing and more on the discourse features specific to the ecology of cultural studies.

All this is why I feel that the only proper place to teach all the things Multimodal Composition is telling us we need to teach is in the context of a class specifically on multimodal composing, which I would be very interested in teaching. I just don’t think it is realistically feasible to teach these things to an extent that makes the effort worthwhile within the context of a writing course especially, but even in a writing intensive course. Yes I can see giving multimodal assignments that require only some basic instruction in certain applications, but that is not the same as taking the time to teach the affordances of video, still image, audio, how image and text interact, etc., etc. There is quite a difference between teaching students how to put together a video and teaching them all about how video communicates, its affordances, and the rhetorical choices involved. We can always remind them to think about audience purpose and genre, but that isn’t the same as teaching them how those rhetorical principles function differently in different modes.

So, do I think I can or should incorporate multimodal composition into my planned 308J course? No. Do I think I can design pedagogically better multimodal assignments for courses like 284? Sure, but I don’t think I can take enough time to teach multimodal composing itself beyond what the experience of doing the project will teach. If multimodal composing is or ever will be an urgently needed essential skill for students to have as so many texts have argued, I think the only way to teach it is to teach it in a class designed for that purpose.

On the other hand, I think that everything I teach in my planned 308J will help students compose better multimodal texts. Everything I teach about discourse ecologies, writing in conversation, using sources, rhetoric, and process applies to multimodal composition just as much as it does to alphabetic composition. Is the reverse true? Can everything we would take the time and effort to teach in a class on multimodal composition be equally applicable to alphabetic composition? I don’t think so. I could be wrong?

Is it okay to assign multimodal assignments without taking the time to teach the affordances of video etc.?
Is Multimodal Composition making the inclusion of other modes out to be more of a thorough time-consuming effort than it needs to be?
Are we incorporating other modes into our work or taking on the responsibility to make students literate in those modes? What is the difference?
Is it enough to include discussion on reading other modes when we teach reading rhetorically/critically?
In Chapter 9 of Multimodal Composition Alexander repeats previously stated ideas about multimodal not necessarily involving digital texts with video/audio, but would those urging us to teach new media literacy really think asking students to drop some visuals into their word documents with an effective tag line and some reference to the image in the text was good enough?

4 comments:

  1. Wow John, this is a really long post! I think that you raise a number of interesting points. I also think that it's worth keeping in mind that everything we've been reading is aimed at an audience with varied experience and interests regarding technology in the classroom. I say that because some of the chapters and articles, at certain points, sound like they're written for someone who might want to design a course around multimodal composition, or at least someone who would want to devote a large portion of a term to it. However, other chapters and articles seem to be geared more towards someone who is just getting their feet wet, or someone who might want to incorporate one multimodal assignment into a class otherwise devoted to the production of alphabetic texts. I'm not sure if this distinction answers any of your questions, but it seems important nonetheless.

    I also think that it is entirely possible to design a multimodal assignment in which everything we would take the time and effort to teach would be equally applicable to the types of alphabetic and visual literacies that you probably value given your experience with design and visual rhetoric. And I'm not sure that an alphabetic composition could address both quite as effectively. I'm not ready for a completely multimodal composition course yet, so I cannot speak to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I’m very interested in the schedule that you provide here for your 308J and how your students react to the scholarly readings that you assign. This might be off the point you are trying to make, but I’m curious about how your students respond to Bawarshi’s piece, for example? Do they feel that it’s too complicated for them? How do you pave the way for such scholarly articles? Do you provide some coping strategies/background information to help them grasp the complexity of the material?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lana,

    Students do struggle to work their way through scholarly articles, which is why week 3 is devoted to texts and discussions about readings. Granted, before we get there they've already tackled Porter, Cooper, Bawarshi, and Mauk. Interesting enough, my 308J class last quarter really liked Bawarshi. I had asked them to read Mauk first because I thought it provided a somewhat simpler (and shorter) introduction to contemporary genre theory but the class told me that Bawarshi made more sense and that they should have read his article first.

    I generally find that while students struggle with composition texts, through class discussion and continued efforts to read such texts they get more out of them than they do out of reading chapters in a textbook. I think that is because these articles are making arguments that stimulate thinking whereas textbooks give information in a tone of "truth" telling that students just try (and usually fail) to absorb passively.

    Writing about Writing is getting increasing attention since Downs and Wardle's CCCs article. I think there are some websites and a comppile bibliography on it if you want to look more into it.

    John,

    I've noticed the difference in the chapters apparent audiences, but I've also noticed a lack of discussion about the feasibility of integrating multimodal assignments into a course. Most of MC seems to imply that in order to do these assignments teachers need to teach the technology, teach the affordances/rhetoric of each mode, and give students time and access to the technology; that becomes a major investment of time even if you just want to include one small multimodal assignment. I'm not sure these advocates would be ok with my way of just asking students to do multimodal assignments without taking the time to really teach the technology or the affordances except as they come up in any workshop/peer review I might do. Yes I teach them to think about the discourse ecology (audience, purpose, genre) but I don't spend any time going over how those things differ in video versus print, etc. I don't see how I could teach multimodal composition up to the standards that MC seems to insist on without at the very least spending 3 or 4 weeks on a project, and in a quarter of 10 weeks that's nearly half the quarter just on one project.

    I'm not really apposed to teaching multimodal composition, but I don't think it's as easy as deciding to replace one alphabetic assignment with one multimodal assignment unless we scale back how much we hope to accomplish as far as multimodal literacy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed with what you have here, and I can find so much that I like. The primary thing is that you are pushing your students to understand what is a very meta-analysis of rhetoric and composition. Not only that, but it seems you are so focused on allowing your students to critically engage the theory behind the practice of composing.

    Lana has apprehensions that some of this might be too advanced (regarding the Bawarshi piece in particular), but it seems that from your experience they were not only able to comprehend it, but they chose it as a favorite over what should have been an easier piece.

    Isn't it wonderful how our students can surprise us in that way?

    I also like how you have utilized technology in a (can I say?) eco-friendly way and a way that is simple enough as not to distract from the focuses of the course. No doubt, and as time goes on, our students, who are mostly "millennials" and who are immersed in technology (and with the complications that come with that), will adapt quicker and quicker to these different interfaces and genres. As you stated, you give them the freedom to blog with images, video and sound, but that this is not a requirement. The question I ask is: when a student does use multiple modalities in their posts, does this happen with no conversation about what is afforded by these modalities? If so, then at what point does the pedagogy actually inhibit the interests of the student? And if not, then isn't that precisely where we can fit in that conversation?

    You are very keen on creating a syllabus that is flexible, a brilliant strategy in my view (and one I am still aspiring too). Could you perhaps prepare materials on multimodal composition as one of your contingency plans? Taking the knowledge that Dr. Rouzie has shared in this course,and waiting to see if your students take it there? If so, then you are prepared. If not, then you can share with them precisely what you feel they should know.

    And maybe, they may surprise you and be able to tackle all of it. What an enriching course that would be.

    ReplyDelete